Continuing our discussion on themes in WordPress we focus on the functions that deliver content. In case you haven’t done it till now, please go back and read the previous posts at:
1. Create a custom theme
2. Add content to a custom wordpress theme
3. Add Menu to a custom theme
At the current moment we have removed all the content from index.php and this is what the site looks like.
and this is the source for the page.
There is no content whatsoever.
Now, we shall start examining the functions.
1.<?php wp_head(); ?>. We shall write this code in index.php and view the home page and also its source.
Nothing comes on the screen but the source contains the head portion now. Here it is:
5. <?php echo get_bloginfo( ‘name’ ); ?>
returns basic information about the site. With the following index.php we get
<?php echo get_bloginfo( 'name' ); ?> <br/> <?php echo get_bloginfo( 'description' ); ?> <br/> <?php echo get_bloginfo( 'wpurl' ); ?>
- A list of options is given below.
- ‘name’ – Site title (set in Settings > General)
- ‘description’ – Site tagline (set in Settings > General)
- ‘wpurl’ – The WordPress address (URL) (set in Settings > General)
- ‘url’ – The Site address (URL) (set in Settings > General)
- ‘admin_email’ – Admin email (set in Settings > General)
- ‘charset’ – The “Encoding for pages and feeds” (set in Settings > Reading)
- ‘version’ – The current WordPress version
- ‘html_type’ – The content-type (default: “text/html”). Themes and plugins can override the default value using the ‘pre_option_html_type’ filter
- ‘text_direction’ – The text direction determined by the site’s language. is_rtl() should be used instead
- ‘language’ – Language code for the current site
- ‘stylesheet_url’ – URL to the stylesheet for the active theme. An active child theme will take precedence over this value
- ‘stylesheet_directory’ – Directory path for the active theme. An active child theme will take precedence over this value
- ‘template_url’ / ‘template_directory’ – URL of the active theme’s directory. An active child theme will NOT take precedence over this value
- ‘pingback_url’ – The pingback XML-RPC file URL (xmlrpc.php)
- ‘atom_url’ – The Atom feed URL (/feed/atom)
- ‘rdf_url’ – The RDF/RSS 1.0 feed URL (/feed/rfd)
- ‘rss_url’ – The RSS 0.92 feed URL (/feed/rss)
- ‘rss2_url’ – The RSS 2.0 feed URL (/feed)
- ‘comments_atom_url’ – The comments Atom feed URL (/comments/feed)
- ‘comments_rss2_url’ – The comments RSS 2.0 feed URL (/comments/feed)Information from: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/get_bloginfo/
In the next post we shall get a post and display it.